Thursday, August 23, 2012

Orange Sherbet Cupcakes

My friend, Charlene asked me if I could make cupcakes out of a recipe called Orange Sherbet Bundt Cake by SK Hunter which she published on Just a Pinch Recipes.  Of course I can make cupcakes out of any cake recipe, but I knew I would change the frosting because the cake just has a glaze.  Here is the original recipe:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 salt
3 eggs
1 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup melted orange sherbet
1/2 orange with peel/remove core/process in a food processor
1/2 cup instant vanilla pudding or 1 small box
1 cup crushed walnuts (optional)

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. melted orange sherbet

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  In a small bow, whisk together flour, dry pudding mix, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
2.  Place sugar and butter in mixer bowl and beat until well combined.  Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.  Turn the mixer speed down to low and add vanilla extract and orange.
3.  Add the flour mixture and sherbet alternating to the sugar and butter mixture.  When it is all combined mix for about 3 minutes on medium speed.  Stir in the nuts by hand.
4.  Put the batter into a bundt pan that has been greased and floured.  Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Let rest for 10 minutes before inverting on to a plate.
5.  When the cake is cool mix together the orange sherbet and the powdered sugar and drizzle over cake. 

The only thing I did different for the cupcakes is I didn't add walnuts mainly because I don't like nuts inside the cupcakes.  For the frosting I used my buttercream frosting recipe but substituted orange juice and the sherbet for the milk until I got the desired consistency for piping and also added a bit of orange flavoring and orange food gel to make it a pale orange color.  Then a fondant tulip on top!



I hope Charlene enjoyed them.  She had been in the hospital lately and I wanted to surprise her with a little something to cheer her up! 

Thanks for reading!  Deana :)

No comments:

Post a Comment